Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Thanksgiving Make-ahead - Cheesy Carrot Casserole

I have no idea where this recipe originally comes from, but it's another staple at Cavanagh turkey dinners. Every year around Thanksgiving or Christmas my sister's and I inevitably end up texting each other (and our mom) looking for the recipe. Now it will live on this blog so we can all enjoy it!

I'll admit I've had some challenges with this recipe at times, but it could be because the version I copied down from my mom doesn't have many instructions. When you make a recipe so many times you often forget about the steps you just seem to take naturally. I've done my best to write it out, and apologize in advance if I've missed something.

One thing to note - sometimes I blanche the carrots, sometimes I don't. This year I decided not to, and I'm curious as to how it will turn out. Either way you're talking carrots covered with cheese and a creamy beschemal-type sauce. Delish!

Cheesy Carrot Casserole on the right.


Cavanagh Cheesy Carrot Casserole
- 12 medium carrots, peeled and sliced to fill casserole dish you are using
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp celery salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 pound sharp cheddar, shredded
- 1/2 cup buttered bread crumbs

Blanche the carrots, or don't.

Saute onion and butter. Mix in flour and dry ingredients. Cook for one minute. Whisk in milk. Cook, stirring, until sauce begins to thicken, about 5-8 minutes. Layer carrots and cheese. Pour sauce over top. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Can be frozen at this point. Defrost overnight and bring to room temperature before cooking.



Bake in 375F oven for 40 minutes. You can bake this and the Elsie's potatoes at the same time, after the turkey has come out of the oven.

No comments: