Monday, October 20, 2014

Brussels Sprouts with Bacon

Growing up every once in awhile my dad would try and serve us brussels sprouts. You can't blame him for trying, he very well may have liked them but to young kids they were terrible. I mean, who wants to eat something that kind of looks like a green brain? Fast forward to University, and I had a boyfriend who tried serving them to me, again, they just seemed terrible, like boiled cabbage or something. Fast forward a few more years and my sister in law roasted them for me. It was like a light went off - this is what all the fuss is about! They were roasted with sea salt, olive oil and garlic, and she served them to me and two of my sisters (fellow brussels sprout haters) and we all loved them. So my eyes were opened and I was willing to put them into my grocery cart, much to Brent's pleasure as he'd been pushing them on me for years. Can you imagine his surprise when he brought some home to cook for dinner and I asked if I could cook them for him? This recipe is so simple and so tasty. Seriously, it's got bacon, how could it not be good?



Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
- 3 - 4 cups brussels sprouts
- Lemon
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste

Prepare brussels sprouts by pulling any loose leaves, trimming ends and cutting in half. Set aside. Zest lemon to make 2-3 tsp zest and juice half the lemon. Set aside.


In skillet, cook bacon over medium-high heat until golden, about 5 minutes. Remove from pan with slotted spoon to paper-towel lined plate. Drain all but a couple of tsp's of fat from pan. Add brussels sprouts and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally until starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Add 1/4 - 1/2 cup water and salt and pepper. Cook, stirring until almost no water remains. Stir in lemon zest, juice and bacon.

Enjoy!

No comments: