Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Easter Leftovers Day 3 - Quiche!

I love a good quiche, it makes a nice lunch or dinner, and is even great for breakfast. However, other than the mini quiches I make for my Christmas Cocktail party (recipe here) I don't often cook quiche at home. But, there are only so many things I know to do with leftover ham, and after cooking a 17 lb ham for 6 adults on Saturday, and giving lots away, I needed to do something! The pea soup was great, and enough for me to freeze for a few more meals. I did the same with the quiche, doubled the recipe and made two - one for tonight and one to freeze and reheat later. I used Tenderflake's Deep Dish Pie Crusts, and for the cheese I just grated what I had in the fridge - a little Fontina, some old cheddar, and a bit of mozzarella. The recipe below is for a single quiche, but is easily doubled and modified.



After Easter Quiche
- Pre-made or home made pie crust
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion, finely diced
- 2-4 broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
- 1 cup chopped ham
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 425 F.

Heat oil over medium heat in pan, sautee onion and broccoli until tender, about 5 minutes.

Sprinkle half of cheese in bottom of pie shell. Top with sauteed veggies and ham, sprinkle with remaining cheese. In medium bowl, whisk together eggs and milk, as well as any seasonings you want. Pour over ingredients in pie shell.

Bake quiche in oven on bottom rack for 10 minutes at 425F. Reduce heat to 350F and bake 30-35 minutes, until filling is set. Let cool for 10 minutes, slice and serve warm with a light salad.


No comments: