Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Mushroom Beef Bundles

For those of you in Ontario, I do hope that you try and pick up the LCBO Food & Drink magazine when it comes out. When I first moved to BC I missed it dearly, until my mom got me a subscription. I had no idea, but at the time, if you lived outside of Ontario, you could get the Food & Drink delivered to your door! And what a fantastic magazine - great articles, fantastic recipes, and lots of entertaining tips and ideas. I just checked, and now they have opened up the subscriptions to anyone in Canada or even Internationally - click here for more info. They also have a lot of their recipes available online at http://www.lcbo.com/fooddrink/.

A few years ago Brent made a recipe from the Autumn 2009 edition, and it turned out great. So when we were having some friends over for a simple Saturday night dinner and games night, I decided to try my hand at the recipe. They were fantastic and this is a recipe you could really play around with. Next time I might do a chicken pot pie variation.



Mushroom Beef Bundles
- 2 strip-loin steaks (about 1lb)
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 lb cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp herbes de Provence
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1pkg frozen puff pastry
- 1 egg, lightly beaten

Trim fat from steaks and discard. Cut steak into 1/2 inch pieces and sprinkle with salt and pepper. In large skillet, heat 1 tbsp oil over medium high heat and brown steak. Remove to plate.

Return skillet to medium-high and add remaining oil. Cook mushrooms, onion, garlic and seasoning, stirring for about 10 minutes or until liquid has evaporated.

Add beef, discarding any accumulated juices, and Worcestershire sauce, cook for 1 minute. Stir in parsley until combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper and let cool to room temperature.

Roll out puff pastry into two 10x10 sheets. Cut each sheet in half on the diagonal to make 4 triangles. Divide mixture evenly on centre of each triangle. Brush edges with some of the egg. Bring 2 of the corners towards the third corner, creating a square. Pinch seams to seal. Carefully transfer, seam-side down, to parchment-paper-lined baking sheet. At this point you can cover with saran wrap and refrigerate until ready to cook. You could probably also freeze and then cook from frozen, adding 10-15 minutes.

Brush each bundle with egg and bake in centre of 425F oven until golden brown, about 25 minutes. I chose to serve with dilled carrots, sauteed greens would be great too.

Open a nice bottle of red wine and enjoy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That mushroom beef bundle looks so mouthwatering. I'm imagining the sensation of cutting up that bundle in the middle. It must be heavenly. Hahaha! Thank you for sharing your wonderful recipes. I'm bookmarking your post and I'm gonna try that out as soon as I get my hands on some puff pastry. Happy cooking!

Bob Andrews @ Chili House