Monday, September 6, 2010

Slow Cooker Ribs

It was a rainy Labour Day here in Vancouver, and I was glad I didn't have anything to do. It was also the perfect day for a nice slow-cooked rib meal. I've made ribs lots of different ways, but one of my favourites is done in the slow-cooker with a quick barbecue sauce. This recipe is adapted from Canadian Living, and lives up to it's name 'Fall-off-the Bone Ribs'.

Slow Cooker Ribs
- 2 racks pork back ribs
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper

Sauce
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp liquid smoke

Trim fat from ribs and cut into 2-3 rib portions. In small bowl stir together chili powder, cayenne and salt and pepper. I also added some seasoning I bought in Hawaii this time. Rub all over ribs. Place on pan and broil until browned, about 5 minutes each side. Transfer to slow cooker.

In bowl, whisk together all ingredients for sauce. Pour over ribs, scraping sauce from bowl. Stir to coat.

Cover and cook on low until tender, and falling off the bone, about 6 hours.

I usually use baby back ribs, but used spare ribs this time, and they were just as good!!!

2 comments:

alison said...

Haha! Perfect! Stewart just bought a slow cooker a few days ago. I smell some delicious ribs in our near future. :)

Reebs said...

Slow cookers are the bomb! I came home from work yesterday and put a chicken in ours at lunch, man the apartment smelled so good when I got home after a long day.