Monday, June 21, 2010

Garlic Scapes

As I mentioned in my last post, I picked up some garlic scapes at the market on Saturday.I wasn't really sure what I was going to do with them, and read around on the internet to see what people suggested. Two of the main suggestions were pesto and also sauteing them in butter. I didn't really feel like making pesto, but did like the idea of having pasta. Plus I had all of those heirloom tomatoes staring at me from the counter.

Before starting the recipe I decided I had to try a piece of garlic scape raw, just so I had an idea of what it was before I started cooking with it. It was very strong, almost instant heartburn. But, I knew from that small sample that once it was cooked down it would have a great flavour.

Pasta with Garlic Scapes and Heirloom Tomatoes
~ 8 garlic scapes, sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
~ 1/4 red onion, sliced
~ 1 tbsp each butter and olive oil
~ variety of tomatoes, chopped
~ 1/2 cup feta cheese
~ salt & pepper
~ pasta, your choice

Heat pan over medium heat, melt butter and add olive oil. Saute garlic scapes and onion in butter and oil until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add tomatoes, simmer for 15-20 minutes, until tomatoes have broken down. Season with salt and pepper.

At this point you can choose to serve, or as I did, you can add a bit of creaminess. Stir in 1/2 cup of feta cheese. If you choose to use feta, keep in mind that you won't need as much salt when you are seasoning.

In the meantime, cook pasta according to directions. Mix with sauce. Serve topped with Parmesan cheese, and garnish with a cherry tomato.

Very yummy!!! (and quite garlicky, in a good way)

1 comment:

Brent Bouchard said...

looks good can't wait to try it!