Monday, August 10, 2009

A 'Diamond' in the rough

This past Saturday Brent and I caught an early flick at Tinseltown. After gorging on popcorn, we weren't really hungry for a full dinner, but it was 7:30, we were a little peckish, and wanted to go for a drink. We biked around Gastown trying to figure out what it was we felt like eating. I remembered having read something somewhere about a restaurant that had opened up across from the Chill Winston, in a second floor location. Thus it was that we stumbled upon Diamond.

The restaurant is upstairs at #6 Powell Street, on the corner of Powell and Carrall. The space itself is very simple, with exposed brick and huge windows. We were lucky and able to score a window seat, overlooking Carrall street. The staff was really friendly, and helped me to pick out a cocktail. I wish I could remember the name, I do know it had champagne and ginger and basil, and something else.

For food, the menu is a selection of Asian inspired plates that are easily shared. When you order your food, it comes out as it is ready, which is really the best way to eat. We ordered the Japanese Pickled Egg and Beets, Edamame, Pork Gyoza's and the Lemongrass Broth with Glass Noodles. All of the food was fantastic, and the entire menu looked enticing.

Overall, a definite great new find. Not too hard on the wallet either. I can't wait to get back and try some of the other cocktails!

The Diamond
#6 Powell Street
Wednesday - Sunday 5:30 - midnight

1 comment:

Brent Bouchard said...

'Not too hard on the wallet either'

-easy to say when its not your wallet...
I kid, I kid.

Brent