Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Skewer Yourself

I know summertime is here when walking down the street the smells of grilled food fills the air. One of my favourite things to grill are skewers, they are easy to prepare in advance, and are even easier to eat! Bonus, year round, they are great on an indoor grill.



Reebs Skewer Pointers:

Shrimp - toss shelled, deveined shrimp in a bowl with some olive oil, a bit of citrus (lemon, lime or orange) and some salt and pepper. Thread onto soaked skewers. These don't take long to cook, so should go on the grill last. Cook until nice and pink.


Chicken - between sheets of waxed paper, pound chicken. This helps it to cook faster and I find helps it to stay moist from the marinade. Much like the shrimp, I just toss the chicken in some olive oil, citrus and salt and pepper. You can let the chicken marinade for longer. Thread onto soaked skewers. I am neurotic about chicken, so I put this on the grill first, and check repeatedly. I find the biggest mistake is not letting the chicken cook right through. Patience young grasshopper, patience.

Veggies - Cut veggies in big chunks, you don't need to cook them all the way. My favourite combo's are green and red peppers, red onions, mushrooms, zucchinis. Again, I toss them with the oil and citrus and salt and pepper. Thread onto skewers and I usually put them on the grill shortly after the chicken.


You can enjoy these on their own or make a quick seafood sauce, some peanut sauce, anything really. Here's a quick seafood sauce that will surprise you with it's easiness and taste - and I bet you have most if not all the ingredients on hand!

Seafood Sauce
In bowl, mix together 1/3 cup ketchup, 2 tsp (or more) prepared horseradish, squeeze of lemon or lime juice, splash of Worcestershire sauce and a dash of hot pepper sauce. I guarantee you'll stop buying bottles of seafood sauce!

Enjoy your spread with some good fresh bread and your favourite wine or beer!

No comments: