Saturday, May 3, 2008

Meatballs

Meatballs are easy to make, freeze wonderfully, and add so much to many simple meals. I've tried different meatball recipes over the years, and there are a few things I've taken from each of them to create my own.

One of the most important things about meatballs is, of course, the meat. If you can, always get your meat from a reputable butcher. We are really lucky in Vancouver, with Granville Island a tugboat away and a great Butcher on Denman Street, a few blocks from home. The type of meat you want to use is completely up to you, it really doesn't change the recipe that much. Recently I was at Tenderland Meats on Granville Island, and I put in my order (1/3 lb lean gr. beef, 1/3 lb gr. pork, 1/3 lb gr.veal) and a gentleman beside me said 'You must be making meatballs, and it sounds like a gourmet recipe'. It made me smile, because meatballs are so affordable and still 'gourmet'. My order usually comes to $5.00, and I end up with at least 6 meals out of it.

Needless to say, here is my recipe for my favourite meatballs!

Meatballs for All Occasions

1 - 2lb ground meat (my favourite mix is beef,veal and pork)
1 egg
1/4 cup or so Italian breadcrumbs (I make my own with fresh grated parmesan and parsley, and then freeze)
1/4 cup onions, finely chopped
Herbs or spices to your liking

In medium bowl, beat egg lightly, add breadcrumbs and onions, any herbs or spices, and mix. This is where it's fun to play with flavours. - One thing I recently discovered was liquid smoke. Just a drop or two adds a lot of to a simple meatball or hamburger recipe - .
Add meat. Mix (with your hands is best!).


Using a spoon or a scoop (the one I use is actually a cookie dough scoop) divide into equal portions, shape into balls. It's really important they are all the same size, no matter what size you decide, that way they cook evenly and remain moist.

Place on tinfoil lined baking sheet (so easy on the cleanup) and cook for about 18 minutes in 375F oven. Just check them every once in awhile after 15 minutes.




Cool on rack, and then freeze in single layer in ziploc baggies. When you want to use them, just reheat in sauce. My favorite uses are Meatball Subs, Party Meatballs in BBQ sauce, or just plain old Pasta and Meatballs. Enjoy!


1 comment:

hanne said...

Ooh, liquid smoke sounds like an interesting addition! Does it really give a smoky flavour?

My parents recently made a meatloaf with a similar mix of meats that also happened to be wrapped in bacon. It got me thinking... I bet bacon inside a meatball would be pretty tasty!