Thursday, November 13, 2014

Braised Short Rib Macaroni and Cheese

I've said it before and I'll say it again - mac and cheese is by far one of my all time favourite meals. It's easy to throw together, and you can make so many different variations. I was feeling pretty exhausted tonight and almost just made a box of KD for dinner. However, I am also in supreme procrastination mode, so decided to whip up a new variation. I have to say I think this might be the best macaroni and cheese I have ever made! I think it was the combination of the different cheeses and the braised short ribs. You can really use whatever cheese you want, you just need about 2 3/4 cups of it. Whatever it was - loved it!



Braised Short Rib Macaroni and Cheese
- 2 cups macaroni
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk (I used almond milk tonight)
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup crumbled MacLaren's Imperial Sharp Cold Pack cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded old cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1.5 cups braised short rib meat, shredded and chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup shredded old cheddar cheese (for topping)


Cook macaroni in large pot of boiling water for 6-8 minutes, until slightly tender. Drain and return to pot.

Meanwhile, in saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Saute onion until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour, cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Whisk in milk, one cup at a time. Cook sauce, stirring constantly for about 8 minutes, until thickened enough to coat back of wooden spoon. Stir in all cheese but the 1/2 cup for topping. Stir until just melted. Pour over macaroni and mix. Stir in short rib meat and frozen peas, mixing well.

Transfer to square glass baking dish. Top with shredded cheese. Bake in 350F oven for 25 minutes, until bubbling. Let sit for 5 minutes and enjoy!

No comments: