Monday, February 13, 2012

Mini Lemon Scones

I needed to taste test some jam at work, and I figured it would be more fun to do it as a group with some homemade scones instead of just crackers. Now, I'd never made scones before so I was a little nervous. Friends had told me before that scones were super easy to make, but I was still kind of nervous. To add a little pressure, my boss has been making scones since she was first taught how in grade school in Ireland.

Of course I turned to Canadian Living to see if I could find a recipe that would complement the Peach Jam we were tasting. These mini lemon scones were great, and so super easy to make. I brought a jar of my Strawberry Rhubarb Jam as well, hoping to redeem myself just in case the scones weren't really as good as I thought (but everyone loved them and the jam!).

Mini Lemon Scones
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp grated lemon rind
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg

Topping:
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp granulated sugar


In large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, lemon rind, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Using pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until in coarse crumbs. Whisk buttermilk with egg; add to flour mixture, stirring with fork to make soft dough.

With lightly floured hands, press dough into ball. On floured surface, knead gently 10 times. Pat out into scant 3/4 inch thick round. Using 1-3/4 inch floured round or fluted cookie cutter, cut out rounds, patting out scraps and cutting more rounds twice. Place on parchment lined rimmed baking sheet.


Brush biscuits with egg; sprinkle with sugar. Bake in center of 400F oven for about 12 minutes or until golden. Let cool on pan on racks.


No comments: