Sunday, July 26, 2009

Twice Baked Potatoes



These potatoes are the bomb. I’m taking my time, I don’t want it to end.
- Rachel Cavanagh


I kid you not, this is what I heard the other night at the table. We were celebrating my parents 33rd wedding anniversary, and I had made dinner for everyone (although my dad took care of the roast). Seated around the table on the screened-in porch, enjoying a meal together, the 6 of us, at the cottage. The entire meal was fantastic, but I think the twice baked potatoes were the definitive hit.


Reebs’ Twice Baked Potatoes (adapted from a Canadian Living recipe)
-4 baking potatoes
-2 cups broccoli florets, chopped
-6 slices bacon
-1 cup finely chopped onion
-4 tsp flour
-1 cup milk
-salt and pepper
-½ cup old cheddar cheese (crumbled or shredded)
Scrub potatoes, prick all over with a fork. Bake in 400F oven for 1 hour or until tender.
Meanwhile, in skillet bring ½ cup water to boil. Add broccoli and cook 2 minutes, until tender and bright green. Drain and set aside. Add bacon to skillet, cook on medium for 5-6 minutes, or until bacon is crisp. Drain off fat, let bacon cool on paper-towel lined plate. Chop and set aside.
Add onion to pan, cook on medium-high for 2-3 minutes until softened. Stir in flour, cook for 30 seconds. Whisk in milk, salt and pepper, cook, stirring for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in cheese until melted. Add bacon and broccoli and mix well.
Cut potatoes lengthwise down centre. Scoop out flesh into bowl and mash. Stir sauce into mashed potatoes, until blended. Spoon into shells. Sprinkle with cheese and bake at 350F for 20 minutes.

No comments: