Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Summer and Potato Salad

I'm writing this post from my parents cabin on Big Basswood Lake in Northern Ontario. It's so nice out here (even if it's raining and the lake is a bit colder than I'd like). This is a place that I plan to return to every summer for as long as I can. There are no agenda's, no schedules, while I'm here it's easy to forget about the hustle and bustle of life.

We had a big crew out for an afternoon of fishing, kayaking, hot tubing, boating and eating on the weekend, so I thought I'd do a quick post on the potato salad I made. Potato salad is a great side dish anytime of year, but especially in the summer. The great thing about it is that you can add whatever you would like, and there's no end to the possibilities.

Basswood Lake Potato Salad
- 20 - 30 little potatoes ( I used half white half red skinned)
- fresh peas
- 5-6 gherkins, chopped
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/4 dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- salt, pepper, dill

*Note, I don't actually measure any of the ingredients for the dressing, these are my best approximations.

Cook potatoes until they are fork tender, but not mushy. Let cool and quarter.
In small bowl, mix mayo, mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper and dill. Add more of whatever you'd like to get the flavour you are looking for.

In large bowl add chopped gherkins, peas and potatoes. Pour dressing over potatoes and toss gently to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least an hour before serving. This salad is great the next day as well.

1 comment:

Brent Bouchard said...

looks good! why don't you cook like that when you're here?? kidding.

Brent