Sunday, February 2, 2014

Peanut Butter Chocolate Coconut Crisp Bars

Two things happened this week that lined up well. One, a friend posted a recipe to what looked to be awesome no bake peanut butter chocolate bars, that happened to be vegan. Two, we were headed over to a friends place for dinner, and I never like showing up empty handed, plus she is vegan. So lo and behold I had an immediate excuse to try out this new recipe. Now I was a little distracted while prepping these. I had measured out all my ingredients before hand (first time making a new recipe didn't want to miss the timing for adding ingredients). As I was stirring the peanut butter, brown rice syrup, and then adding the cocoa I was really confused as to why it was so thick. But it was the first time making this so I kept going. Adding the crisp cereal and I could barely stir everything. I kept thinking, this needs more liquid, which is when I noticed the pre-measured almond milk sitting on the counter. So I quickly added it and kept stirring, and they still turned out. Imagine how much better they would be if I had done everything properly! These aren't too sweet, which is sometimes a nice thing.




PB Chocolate Coconut Crisp Bars with PB Fudge
- 1/2 cup all natural peanut butter (chunky or smooth)
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup
- 2 tsp pure vanilla
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup sifted cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1/4 cup chopped unsalted peanuts (optional, but adds a nice texture)
- 1/2 cup non-dairy chocolate chips

PB Fudge
- 1 cup all-natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- salt, to taste
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut

Line 8-inch baking pan with parchment paper (two sheets, one going each way).

In medium saucepan over medium-low heat mix pb, brown rice syrup, vanilla and almond milk together. Once blended, slowly add cocoa powder and salt, stirring over low-heat, being careful not to burn. Mix in crispies and remove from heat. Add the 1/2 cup chocolate chips and peanuts if using. Spread into baking pan, pressing down firmly. Pop in freezer for about 10 minutes, until cool and firm to the touch.

Meanwhile, in microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate chips with coconut oil, again being careful not to burn (about 30-60 seconds). Stir in peanut butter until smooth. Stir in salt and coconut and mix until well combined.

Remove pan from the freezer when firm, and spread as much of the pb fudge over the top (I used all of it). Sprinkle with additional coconut if you wish.

Return to freezer for 45-60 minutes until firm. Cut into squares and enjoy! Keep remaining squares in fridge or freezer.

No comments: