Monday, February 20, 2012

Toffee Cookie Brittle

I love baking, however I really don't like having it at home. The problem being most recipes make quite a bit, there's only two of us here, and Brent doesn't have as much of a sweet tooth or self-control problem like me. So when I get the opportunity to bake for a birthday, or a holiday, I take full advantage and try out new recipes. Brent's office was having a bake sale for Valentine's day, so I got to work and found a new recipe that seemed simple enough. Turns out there wasn't enough interest for the bake sale, but I sent him to work with the goods anyways, because these little pieces are addictive!!

Toffee Cookie Brittle
- 1 1/4 cups butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 6 Skor bars (39g), chopped

Set out 17 x 11 inch rimmed baking sheet; leave ungreased.

In large bowl, beat butter with sugar until fluffy; beat in vanilla and salt. Stir in flour, 1 cup at a time. Stir in chocolate chips and chopped chocolate bars.


Gently squeeze handfuls of dough just until mixture holds together; pat evenly into baking sheet. Bake in centre of 325F oven until just firm to the touch, about 30 minutes. Let cool in pan on rack; break into pieces.

I tried to use a cookie cutter to make heart shapes when they come right out of the oven, before they harden to break. Idea works in theory, however the cookie cutter gets super hot, so I only got through about 6 of them. No need to have pretty shapes though, just break up the pieces and try not to eat too many of them at once!

No comments: