Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Blueberries and Muffins

The blueberries are finally out in BC, but due to an increase in bears and aggressive cougars, I would not really recommend picking wild blueberries right now. Luckily, the berry farm where I went for Strawberries and Raspberries also has Blueberry bushes. Now these are way different than picking wild blueberries, but the fruit is still as sweet. I went out last weekend and picked myself one bucket, but now I'm thinking I might need to go back again!
After freezing half of them, and just munching on almost the rest, I decided to make some muffins. I thought about making my standard Lemon Blueberry muffins - a staple at the Cavanagh house (and very good!), but decided to look around online and see what was out there. And of course it was the Canadian Living website that brought me what I can only describe as an incredible new blueberry muffin recipe. I made a dozen last night, and there are only 3 left (and yes, that was just myself and Brent eating them!).

Maple Blueberry Muffins
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup fresh blueberries

Streusel topping:
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar (I used what I had, dark)
- 2 tbsp slivered almonds (I didn't have any, and instead used some granola, crushed)
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tsp cinnamon

Streusel: Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and set aside. Try not to eat it!

In large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together. In separate bowl beat egg. Blend in maple syrup, milk and butter and pour over dry ingredients. Sprinkle with blueberries. Stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.

Spoon into prepared muffin tray, dividing batter among 12 muffins. Sprinkle with streusel. Bake in centre of 375 F oven for 20 - 25 minutes, until tops are firm to the touch and toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Let cool in pan on rack for 5 minutes. Transfer to rack and let cool.

Try to eat only one. I dare you.

No comments: