Monday, July 11, 2011

Strawberries

The fresh strawberries have been out in full force at the Markets for a few weeks now, and after hearing on the radio that the U-Pick season was wrapping up, I rallied the troops and we headed out to Farm country Saturday for some berry picking at Driediger Farms. I'm not really that good at estimating how much I have, so when we went to pay, turns out we'd picked 12 lbs of berries!

With that many strawberries I decided I would be making two batches of jam, and since the farm had some fresh rhubarb, the decision was easy. One batch of strawberry jam and one batch of strawberry-rhubarb. Now I can't decide which I like better!

Still, we had a ton of strawberries left, so I needed to freeze some of them. The best way to freeze them is to place on a cookie sheet in a single layer, in the freezer for at least 5 hours, then bag them. That way when you go to grab some, they are not all clumped together.

Now for the raspberries...that's next weekend!

No comments: