Thursday, April 16, 2009

Scalloped Potatoes

I know everyone claims to have a recipe for the best scalloped potatoes ever. Believe me, I've made a lot of different recipes. One of my favourites includes a layer of sauteed cabbage and bacon. However, I truly believe the recipe I made for Easter this past weekend trumps them all. I should have made a double batch, they were that good. Oh, and I even got an email from a party guest the next day who wrote, and I quote "I am still dreaming about those potatoes". So although I don't have a photograph of the completed dish (it disappeared way too fast), here is the recipe for what I am calling The Absolute by Far Best Scalloped Potatoes EVAH.

The Absolute by Far Best Scalloped Potatoes EVAH
- 1 1/2 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 1/2 lbs yams or sweet potatoes
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp each, minced fresh parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme (sing it like Simon and Garfunkel)
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 1/4 cups grated Gruyere cheese (I might have used more)

Fill large bowl with cold water. Peel potatoes, slice into 1/8 inch thick rounds and place in bowl with water. I've used a food processor in the past for this, which works, but this time I did it by hand.

Combine cream, butter, and garlic in medium saucepan; bring to simmer. Remove from heat. Mix all herbs in small bowl, and salt and pepper in separate small bowl.


Butter a large glass baking dish. Drain potatoes, then pat dry with kitchen towels. Transfer half of potatoes to baking dish, using hands to distribute evenly. Sprinkle with half of s&p mixture then half of herb mixture.

Sprinkle with half of cheese. Repeat with remaining potatoes, s&p, herbs and cheese. Pour cream mixture over gratin, pressing lightly to submerge potato mixture.


Cover tightly with foil. Bake in 400F oven 30 minutes. Uncover; bake until top is golden, and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes.

I baked mine the day before and then reheated in the oven while the ham was resting. Soooo good!!!!

No comments: